Join as for this annual casual gathering of kayak builders:
at Bluff Point State Park Groton, Connecticut.
Is a fun gathering which gives us a chance to meet other builders and paddlers and talk shop a bit. People generously let others try out their boats. It is great fun to see the variety of designs and techniques used. There is everything from very traditional skin-on-frame Greenland style kayaks to innovative new skin-on-frame hybrids, as well as strip-built and stitch-and-glue.
The gathering is free and open to all. It is held in the sheltered waters beside the state park suitable for beginners and novice paddlers. A short paddle brings you to the open waters of Long Island Sound. People will start showing up around 10:00 am and stay until they are tired. You do not need to bring a boat. The event happens rain or shine.
The gathering is held at Bluff Point State Park Groton CT.
Directions From Route 95
- Take EXIT 88 for Route 117, Turn south on 117 towards Noank & Groton Long Point.
- Follow 117 for about 1 mile to Route 1.
- Turn RIGHT onto Route 1.
- After about 0.3 miles, turn LEFT onto DEPOT RD at the light,
- DEPOT RD will go under a railroad bridge and turn to dirt. Follow to the end and parking. The closest access to the water is on the right. Look for the kayaks.
- Note to Out of State Visitors:
- There is a loosely enforced $15 parking charge for out of state visitors.
- Drive in and park, then find the little sign and box (it will be to the left of where we are set up with kayaks).
- Connect to ReserveAmerica (you can probably do this in advance) and make your payment.
- Get a green slip out of the box next to the sign, fill out the number provided on the card
- Put the green slip on your dash.