Join as for this annual casual gathering of kayak builders:
at Bluff Point State Park Groton, Connecticut.
Is a fun gathering which gives us a chance to meet other builders and paddlers and talk shop a bit. People generously let others try out their boats. It is great fun to see the variety of designs and techniques used. There is everything from very traditional skin-on-frame Greenland style kayaks to innovative new skin-on-frame hybrids, as well as strip-built and stitch-and-glue.
The gathering is free and open to all. It is held in the sheltered waters beside the state park suitable for beginners and novice paddlers. A short paddle brings you to the open waters of Long Island Sound. People will start showing up around 10:00 am and stay until they are tired. You do not need to bring a boat. The event happens rain or shine.
The gathering is held at Bluff Point State Park Groton CT.
View Bluff Point State Park in a larger map
Clicking on this map will bring you to Google Maps where you can direction on how to reach the park from where ever in the US you happen to be coming from.
Directions From Route 95
- Take EXIT 88 for Route 117, Turn south on 117 towards Noank & Groton Long Point.
- Follow 117 for about 1 mile to Route 1.
- Turn RIGHT onto Route 1.
- After about 0.3 miles, turn LEFT onto DEPOT RD at the light,
- DEPOT RD will go under a railroad bridge and turn to dirt. Follow to the end and parking. The closest access to the water is on the right. Look for the kayaks.
- Note to Out of State Visitors:
- There is a loosely enforced $15 parking charge for out of state visitors.
- Drive in and park, then find the little sign and box (it will be to the left of where we are set up with kayaks).
- Connect to ReserveAmerica (you can probably do this in advance) and make your payment.
- Get a green slip out of the box next to the sign, fill out the number provided on the card
- Put the green slip on your dash.